A community for warehouse and logistics discussion. Allows like-minded practitioners to interact by sharing ideas and knowledge in the forum.

Trailer Door Requir...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Trailer Door Requirements for loading/unloading

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@csysarah)

I'm wondering what are the typical things to consider when it comes to designing for trailer doors for loading/unloading?

4 Replies
(@clairelee)
Eminent Member

I'm no expert in this area. But just sharing some of my thoughts.

1. Location of the docks with respect to the building. (need to consider the vehicles maneuvering just outside the building)
2. Dock - inside or outside
3. Dock height
4. Dock leveler requirements
5. Bumper requirements
6. Number of bays to cater to the operations

https://www.novalocks.com/wp-content/uploads/Dock-Planning-Standards-Guide.pdf

https://loadingdocksupply.com/loading_dock_design

1 Reply
(@csysarah)

Thank you! This was helpful!

(@jessicaherron9)
Eminent Member

Workers loading and unloading materials should be instructed in safe procedures appropriate to the material they handle. Truck or rail tank car loading or the unloading of flammable/combustible liquids is one of the most hazardous operations likely to be undertaken at any manufacturing or storage facility. Workers engaged in the loading or unloading of suspension-type highway trailers may be at an increased risk of injury due to the inability of damaged trailers to support the weight of the powered industrial truck used to load or unload the trailer. Throughout the trucking industry, Powered Industrial Trucks, 29 CFR 1910.178, is the most commonly cited standard. Many fatalities occur when a worker is crushed by a forklift that has overturned or fallen from a loading dock.

(@clairelee)
Eminent Member

Agreed. Recently, there was a near-miss incident that happened in one of the warehouses I was working in. The unloader was unloading and nearly missed his footing. It could have been disastrous.

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: